Here we go. These are more of my favorite songs than the “best”. Since best is an objective term to me these are the songs that I enjoyed the most of 2008 and to me they are songs that I will keep on playing as the years go on. Here is numbers 50-41 with mp3′s and a few quick thoughts on them:
50. The Rural Alberta Advantage – The Ballad of The RAA
-Constant pounding bass drum, lush synths, Jeff Mangum like vocals, beautiful strings. Everything gets together and the result is haunting. This band is one of the best surprises of 2008. Check out the rest of their album. Fantastic stuff!
49. Frightened Rabbitt – the Modern Leper
- I love the singers voice, the accent works so damn well. When playing this song I am just waiting for the big build up along with the singers anxious voice. This is a anxious song that is constructed to perfection. This is what music is about right.
48. M83 – Kim & Jessie
- Shoe gaze synth rock at it’s top form. Jose is a master at the art and this song shows he is at his prime. Dance music is dying, but M83 continues to re-invent the game. This song is just gorgeous.
47. No Age – Eraser
- The silent opening is just the bands way of giving you some time to breath before they kick into a few minutes of pop/rock over some dirty fuzz that showcases their talents all too well. It sounds even better in context with the rest of the album “Nouns”.
46. Women – Black Rice
- I love the cracking of the vinyl opening of this song it is a lead way into one of the greatest songs of the year. The song is just good rock and roll that gets better whenever you come back to it. His vocal delivery along with that undeniable guitar riff can do that to ya.
45. Royal Bangs – Brother
- Where the fuck is the love for this bands album? Please click the above mp3, listen to the pounding of the drums & infectious guitar riff that develops into an absolute massive tune with an overload of raw energy. Just hit repeat, and it will make your day THAT much better. I promise.
44. The Mae Shi – Run To Your Grave
- It starts off with an enormasly catchy keyboards and then goes into a huge chorus full of yelps, claps, and big hooks. I wish I was as happy as The Mae Shi sound.
43. Department Of Eagles – No One Does It Like You
- Daniel Rossen is the man. This is just how you right a song. This is songwriting at it’s finest. Pop perfection.
42. Friendly Fires – Jump In The Pool
- A big big dance/rock song. This is addictive as hell and needs to blasting on the biggest baddest sound system you can get your hands on. Thank me later. Dance the night away!
41. British Sea Power – Waving Flags
- Fuck pitchfork U2 claim. This is anthematic rock done right. A huge sense of urgency. I really dig the atmosphere resonating from this song. Can I please go to the UK already?
-Thats it for now, #40-31 in a bit!